Re: IANA registry for WebCrypto?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> W3C had an internal review of the WebCrypto speak, and it was brought up
> that W3C doesn't normally run registries once a WG is closed, in general it
> remains closed and so there's so lack of clarity about who would run the
> registry. However, we have a good history with working with IANA over such
> registries. Would anyone in the WG be opposed to modifying the spec so that
> the registry for algorithms in WebCrypto was run by IANA?

And what does the W3C plan to do for WebGL? And what other specs
related to WebApps/HTML/CSS are using a registry?

It's clear from members' and public request, not to mention our own
secondary features, that there's more than enough to keep this WG
occupied for some time.

Not to mention what would the procedure be for adding algorithms?
Typically IANA registries (as used by IETF) specify the rules for
adding items - such as WG review. What's the value in the registry if
all work goes through the WG - which would essentially be maintaining
a registry?

In short, I'm not convinced - and while not enough to register an
objection at this point, I think the question has been approached from
the wrong side.