Re: Registries and Interoperability

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  I certainly agree that the flavor of interop problem you're talking about is bad.  However, that seems like a fairly straightforward issue to address, basically deduplication.  Has someone already defined AES-CBC?  If so, then you don't get an identifier for yours unless the actual algorithm differs (as opposed to the API parameter formatting).  This raises the question of whether the parameter format gets defined by the first guy that shows up, but I think you could clarify that with some guidelines.

It is very common for IANA registries to have an "expert reviewer" applies before allowing registration.  (Ryan?)  It seems like you could set up a few general rules that a expert would follow to ensure some consistency in the API.  For example:

-- Each algorithm gets only one identifier
-- Parameters and outputs are subject to the following constraints:
    -- Octet strings MUST be represented as ArrayBufferView
    -- Keys (public or private) MUST be represented as Key objects, not in an encoded form
    -- Integers (outside of keys) MUST be represented as integer or BigInteger values

Basically, it seems like for a given algorithm, there's only a couple of more or less obvious ways to represent the algorithm and its parameters under those constraints (or something like them, to be agreed by the group).  So it seems unnecessary to re-engage the WG machinery.  Especially if, as Arun suggested, the *-public mailing list can be kept alive for discussions.