Re: Registries and Interoperability

On Feb 8, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Seetharama Rao Durbha <S.Durbha@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/13 2:04 PM, "Richard Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> wrote:
>
>>  If there is going to be a consistent set of algorithms, then the API will have to have requirements for UAs.  If there are no requirements for UAs, there is no guarantee of consistency.
>
> I do not think that having a consistent 'naming' is same as 'requiring' the UAs to implement them.

I will mark you down in camp (A) then :)

You are certainly correct.  However, the argument has been made that the set of names needs to be constrained in order to ensure that web developers have a consistent list of algorithms that they know they can use.  That implies that UAs are required to implement the algorithms in the list.

--Richard