RE: FW: JOSE -19 drafts intended for Working Group Last Call

You’re welcome.

For context, this is less “gross” than overloading the existing simple “use” field with comma-separated strings such as “signOnly,verifyOnly”, which I believe is the current WebCrypto WG proposal.  And it doesn’t break the deployments that are already in production using “use” as-is.

                                                            -- Mike

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi@google.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:05 PM
To: Mike Jones
Cc: public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: Re: FW: JOSE -19 drafts intended for Working Group Last Call

Thanks for the quick work, Mike.

It does seem that there is still active discussion in JOSE on this, with Richard Barnes offering a very compelling counter proposal. Individually, I still have concerns that this introduces something "gross" (as far as spec taste and ambiguity goes), but if JOSE is inflexible on backwards compatibility, a path forward. I think Richard's would be a much cleaner solution, but I'll try to keep that discussion centered in JOSE.

This would be a very important time for WrbCrypto contributors, consumers, and implementors to raise points with JOSE if we want to actually see a round peg fit the round hole, rather than trying to shove a square peg through. Please do contribute to the discussions in the IETF.