Re: Defaults: Getting concrete (round 2)

On Apr 22, 2013, at 1:42 PM, "Acar, Tolga" <tolga.acar@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

This is my point.  We in this group know this, but the average developer does not.  So the API should just provide a random number.

> CTR: Unless there is a monotonic counter, no one tracks counters (protocols may for session keys, and that amounts to counters). Besides, monotonic counters in distributed systems is a pain in the back side where the same key may be used.

Random message nonces solve this problem with a very high degree of assurance.  There is only a need to track nonces if you wan to be strictly FIPS-compliant.

--Richard