RE: Separate method for key agreement?

Poorly phrased - late night.

It's not intrinsically harder to do in the JS language. It involves a bit more complicated usage in browser JS written to our API. That said, it's not a bad idea - as others have noted, many protocols use a single Z to derive multiple keys. So while it's nice to experiment with collapsing the two steps down to one, it does seem like we need the two (or more, as you note) to be separate at least in the low-level API.

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:07 AM
To: Vijay Bharadwaj
Cc: Wan-Teh Chang; Richard Barnes; public-webcrypto@w3.org Group
Subject: Re: Separate method for key agreement?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Vijay Bharadwaj <Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com<mailto:Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com>> wrote:
Windows CAPI is unique in its handling of DH. It is not a great example to emulate.

CNG is a better example. As I understand it, the proposal below combines the secret agreement and key derivation steps (which are distinct in CNG) into a single step. This seems like a good idea - CNG has to use a secret handle to allow the caller to link these two steps without exposing the raw secret, but this would be harder to do neatly in JS. Am I understanding the proposal correctly?

Vijay,

I'm not sure why you say this would be harder to do neatly in JS? The current proposal uses a secret handle to link the two steps as well.

However, it also extends to agreement schemes that support > 2 steps.