Re: Support for ECB

From: Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko@leastauthority.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:17:09 -0600
To: public-webcrypto@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> To bootstrap any of the following modes with suitable performance
> characteristics:
>
> CTR || CCM (which starts with CTR) || GCM (which starts with CTR)

I don't understand how a situation could arise where a programmer
would need to use ECB mode to implement these (or for any other
purpose). It seems like that situation would arise only if the
underlying platform offered ECB mode but not CTR mode. But why don't
we just discourage implementors from offering ECB mode and encourage
them to offer CTR mode? (And, as previously suggested, encourage them
to offer an AES block-encryption function that operates on only a
single block.)

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep -- Least Authority Enterprises

https://leastauthority.com