Re: [jose] Platform Support for JWA Crypto Algorithms

I don't think it's a fair contrast. Historically, KDFs have generally been
about the combination of low-level primitives in "acceptable" forms, rather
than being considered a low-level primitive themselves. That is, they are,
at best, high-level syntactic sugar.

The blessing by NIST (finally!) actually provides incentive and benefit for
cryptographic libraries, particularly those concerned with FIPS
140-2/defined security boundaries, to treat the KDFs as low-level
primitives. The ones most likely to be implemented are thus the ones
recommended by NIST (since NIST cares about such things), and so the best
hope for *future* implementations (which will eventually exist) is to use
HKDF/Concat.

If you're talking about "how easy is it for an application developer to
implement", PBKDF2/HKDF/Concat are more or less the same. But they have
different security properties, and like Mike said, the latter algorithms
make more sense (albiet with the need to address the various oddities with
how JOSE currently incorrectly uses Concat)