Re: Korean Banking Use-case now an election issue!

Hi.
let me list up the required features in Korean Banks.

1. identity user
- digital certificate is normally used to identify user
- the certificate is issued by strong user verification mechanism with Face
to Face
- WebCrypto API need to touch certificate issues now.

2. authenticate user
- verify user who has valid ownership of private key associated digital
certificate.
- private key is stored at local folder, USB Storage or Smartcard.
- PKCS#11 can be used for accessing smartcard.

3. identify service provider
- ActiveX Transmission encryption over HTTP is co-exist with SSL.
- EV-SSL can be good replacement.

4. verify application integrity of service provider
- normally activeX code sign verification mechanisms is used.
- Korean members are now discussing about script nonce (
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/**content-security-policy/raw-**
file/tip/csp-specification.**dev.html#script-nonce--**experimental<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/content-security-policy/raw-file/tip/csp-specification.dev.html#script-nonce--experimental>)
and Signed WebApp with XMLDSIG(http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-digsig/)
- javascript is now part of important infrastructure. we can not trust
browser sandbox security itself (we know iPhone jailbreak case)
- CSP in WebAppSec WG mentioned "defense-in-depth".
- if possible and even if it can not be the perfect solution, we need to
add more security layer.
- I think WebAppSec WG did not deeply consider using cryptography
technology in user agent level.

5. Encrypt Transmission Data
- current SSL/TLS is NOT enough.
- SSL session is established out side of browser sandbox. means the data is
stored somewhere of user environment before entering SSL turnnel
- Korean Banking need End to End encryption. encrypt data inside of sandbox
with public/certificate of service provider.
- I think with current API spec, it can be implemented.

6. Non-Repudiation
- the most important feature.
- digital signature can be answer.
- to be non-repudiable, we need additional discussions about certificate
(certificate enrollment, keyStorage location, interfacing with P11 enabled
smartcard)

7. etc.
- API need to access X509 certificate extensions
- API need to handle encoding specific text in X509 extensions.

--
Mountie Lee

PayGate
CTO, CISSP