RE: KeyStorage and Pre-provisioned Keys: A proposal

This is a very important topic and one which requires a very thoughtful discussion.

We share the concerns expressed by both Google and Netflix regarding privacy. Code coming from a different origin than the pre-provisioned key will run in the origin of the site, so any resolution needs to address that concern.

Yet we share Netflix and CableLabs' contention that this is an important feature for the Web Crypto API to include. Support for pre-provisioned, origin-specific keys such as those which exist today on devices such as TVs and Set Top Boxes, when provided to scripts from the associated origin, with full user knowledge and consent, will enable scenarios which will be valued by those users.

An explicit goal of the Web Crypto work is to support JavaScript as a programming language - not just for the open web. It is important to examine the browser/open web scenarios to determine how privacy concerns can be mitigated, but a thoughtful resolution of this issue cannot be achieved by examining the open web concerns, alone.

Pre-provisioned keys are commonly used today and they are often more secure than the alternatives. It is Microsoft's view that access to pre-provisioned keys should be supported in the Web Crypto API and that appropriate guidance on privacy considerations should also be provided.

---

It was our understanding that the issue resolution from the Lyon meeting was for the editors to work with Mark Watson on concrete text for pre-provisioned keys to be incorporated into the specs. We believe that this dialog should be redirected towards completion of that goal and the development of concrete text on how pre-provisioned keys are best accommodated within the Web Crypto API, creating a solution that mitigates open web privacy concerns. We are eager to help contribute to that effort.

John

John C. Simmons | Media Platform Architect | Microsoft Corporation | direct 425-707-2911  | mobile 425-269-5759