Re: Unique identifiers and WebCrypto

On Nov 9, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:

> [...]

This is I guess a little off the original topic, but interesting none-the-less.

My question was this: assume the above model, and note that Netflix does not require a 1-year commitment, or even a 1-month commitment, but just a verified method of payment, and we offer the first month free on a one-off basis to each person, and you may cancel at any time. Then, how do we detect free trial fraud ? i.e. when the same person comes back and asks for a free trail every month using a different pseudonym ?

The above model assumes that an individual can repeatedly present themselves with a different pseudonym, with no way for the service provider to know it's the same individual (that's an explicit goal, right). That's incompatible with our current  business practice where we ask people to provide some kind of (roughly) immutable identity in return for getting a free trial - it can be the payment method (credit card number) and it can also be their device identity if it has one. They do get something of real value in return for sacrificing their anonymity. Seems like a fair trade that the technology should support, no ?

…Mark