Re: Rethinking KeyStorage

From: Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 13:59:49 -0700
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: "<public-webcrypto@w3.org>" <public-webcrypto@w3.org>, David Dahl <ddahl@mozilla.com>, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Ryan, all,
>
> I'm sorry I missed the discussion of this. Can you explain how the application would find the Key object for a pre-provisioned key in the proposed new model ? It's clear how this is done with KeyStorage, so if you're going to remove KeyStorage we need a solution in the new model too.
>
> ůMark

This proposal currently treats pre-provisioned keys as "out of scope"
- which is to say, it says nothing for nor against them, nor how they
may be implemented or exposed by a particular user agent.

Given that pre-provisioned keys are a concept that, to some extent,
have significant privacy concerns - in addition to being
implementation-specific - this seems a reasonable balance between
ensuring that the primary features and goals (as specified by the
charter) are met, while equally being considerate and not actively
forbidding features that can be further developed and standardized in
a subsequent version of the document - particularly one that embraces
the secondary feature of "multiple key containers", which I would
suggest that keys not explicitly generated by an origin logically fall
under.