[W3C Web Crypto WG] Deciding if we need a discovery mechanism

From: GALINDO Virginie <Virginie.GALINDO@gemalto.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:59:58 +0200
To: "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <public-webcrypto@w3.org>
Dear all,

Some people mentioned that a webapp may be able to discover the algorithms supported the environment it is running in, thus identifying algorithms available thanks to the Web Crypto API. There are several means to do that (1) either by an actual discovery mechanism sending back the entire list of algorithms, (2) or by creating 'cipher suite'. In addition to that, we may be able to mandate a minimum set of algorithms that should be supported when implementing the API.

I would like to get your feedback on that one, (or any alternative proposal).

gemalto