Re: ECC vs RSA, and Similar Conflicts

From: Wan-Teh Chang <wtc@google.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:22:06 -0700
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: Nadim <nadim@nadim.cc>, public-webcrypto@w3.org
The ECC/RSA issue is not that difficult to resolve.  The API needs to allow both
ECC and RSA to be relevant today, with a method for feature detection.  We
know some browsers, such as Firefox on Red Hat Linux/Fedora and Internet
Explorer on Windows XP, don't have built-in support of ECC.  Servers will figure
out whether they should use RSA or ECC (or even both) depending on the target
browsers they need to support.  So I don't think we need to resort to exposing
the underlying big num math library, which would open a new can of worms.

Wan-Teh