Re: [Web Crypto WG] Agenda for next call on 14th of May (15:00 EDT/19:00 UTC)

On May 9, 2012, at 8:45 AM, David Dahl wrote:

> I spent some time on the phone with Wan-Teh and Ryan Sleevi yesterday to discuss the editor's draft.Some questions and issues we came up with about the preliminary work on the spec are:
>
> 1. Feature (algorithm and capability) detection. We should provide a method by which the API can be queried for features/algorithms/cipher suites/etc that allows a script to bail out early before attempting an operation that will fail. e.g.: we need a version attribute as well, "window.crypto.pk.version" to start
>
> 2. Specifying algorithms for crypto operations other than RSA might become more complicated than the preliminary spec proposes
>
> There was a discussion about perhaps changing the API to look more like:
>
> window.crypto.rsa.generateKeys() encryptAndSign() verifyAndDecrypt()
>
> I think we can design this in a more 'general purpose' way (similar to the current ED) using an options parameter that specifies the algorithm, padding, hash/mac,or cipher suite, etc.

We do have an internal draft API, very much along those lines, with quite a few details worked out. We haven't posted this, because the direction was to build on DOMCrypt. But if the direction is to re-think the API a little, then we'd be happy to contribute that.

> 3. Potential need for a parallel set of low-level interfaces. I still think we should avoid this as a potential sinkhole. My initial desire to provide an "easy-and-safe-to-use" interface is I think the point of this API. A parallel, low-level interface is also desired.
>
> 4. The interest in secondary features seemed high in the public call. We need to prioritize. (I think this all falls on use-cases to sort out)
>
> 5. I need to run the current spec through where it is using ECC in place of RSA to see how it looks/feels - regardless of whether or not browser vendors can implement. This also brings up the issue of not stating algorithms as MUST IMPLEMENT
>
> 6. We should adopt JOSE specs for all input and output. This gives more credence to a very high-level API using cipher suites, which will remove most of the ambiguity of a 'generic API'. Of course, using cipher suites is not a silver bullet, as Ryan said, SSL has 117+ cipher suites maintained by IETF.

I'm not sure about this. It should be possible to easily implement JOSE using this API, but I don't think JOSE is appropriate for exchanges over the API itself. These should largely be opaque byte strings, whereas JOSE defines serialized encoded JSON objects.

Our use-case, as posted in December, is here http://www.w3.org/wiki/NetflixWebCryptoUseCase. We'd be happy to run through this on the call.

> We want to avoid creating the "Netflix API"and I think there are use cases in common with what they have proposed.

Absolutely, we're keen to ensure that the API is generic and not specific to this use-case at all - we may ourselves have other use-cases too!

…Mark