Re: I want to have unsafe key exchange.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM, David Dahl <ddahl@mozilla.com> wrote:

> No, I do not think I have ever advocated for the private keying material
> to ever be available in raw form. Please refresh my memory where I was
> advocating for private keys to be exposed to content.
>
> David

During our June 4 teleconference, there was the discussion during the Draft
API technical discussion about whether keys should be referred to "by data"
or "by ID". My understanding of your proposal was that all keys be
referenced by raw bytes, which then lead to the discussion that this would
necessarily preclude the use of secure elements, and the counter-proposal
that all keys could be referred to via handles (eg: JavaScript objects -
presumably obtained by IDs but not necessarily so). My intent was not to
preclude the use of obtaining key byes from the API - as I think this is a
very useful case that MUST be supported if we're to allow web applications
to extend/enhance the API - but to simply indicate that not all keys may
permit this operation.

That is, there's no reason to rule it out, but there's no reason to mandate
it either.

Have I misunderstood your position and proposal from the June 4
teleconference? It looks like your comments between Virginie's broaching of
the topic and Mitch's response on IRC may not have been captured in the
minutes.