Re: Use case classification, and associated security models

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Vijay Bharadwaj <
Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  **Ø  **When it first runs, the script does not know the UUID of any
> pre-provisioned keys - it must query based on the origin-specified naming
> scheme.****
>
> ** **
>
> Is this necessarily true?****
>
> ** **
>
> Crazy idea – what if the origin-specified naming scheme is based on UUIDs?
> Specifically, if each pre-provisioned key had a UUID that was a function of
> the user’s identity? (e.g. an HMAC of the user name with some key held by
> the service, or just a random UUID associated with the user in a
> server-side table) The service could query for the key by UUID because for
> any user it would know the expected UUID of the key. But the UUID is
> effectively random to anyone else who doesn’t know the HMAC key, so there
> is no feasible way anyone else can probe for it.****
>
> ** **
>
> Would requiring keys to be named with UUIDs in this way make our API
> simpler?

In this formulation, what is the advantage of a UUID over an opaque string
supplied by the application (which may be a UUID, or may be a string such
as the simple English string "NetflixAuthKey")

My thought is that whatever naming scheme we go with, it should be:

   - Entirely up to the implementing application/web site how it wants to
   refer to keys. That is, it can dictate the key name itself.
   - Entirely scoped/bound to the current security origin. That is
   "NetflixAuthKey" at netflix.com *may* represent a completely different
   key than "NetflixAuthKey" at netflixcdn.com.

This then opens two new desired behaviours:

   - Users may wish to re-use the same key under the same name or different
   name between origins (eg: the scenarios #1 and #2 I gave for Alice and Bob)
   - Site operators may wish to share the same key under the same name
   between different origins (eg: the netflix.com and netflixcdn.com, both
   entities presumed operated by Netflix, that both wish to perform some
   keying operation)

>From the perspective of the application consuming the API (eg: doing
operations with the keys), a key handle is a key handle. The above
scenarios only come up with key discovery. However, whether the key's
provenance is via Scenario #1, #2, or #3, and whether it's a shared key,
unique-per-origin, or pre-provisioned, is something largely transparent at
the API layer outside of discovery.

****