Re: window.crypto.SignData (was Re: Need for Smart Card support)

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Wan-Teh Chang <wtc@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Davenport, James L. <jdavenpo@mitre.org>
> wrote:
> > Our sponsor needs the Crypto API to enable JavaScript programs to be
> able to
> > request: "Hey, please sign this data using that smart card."
> >
> > The term "smart card" is a generic term that includes Common Access Card
> > (CAC) and Personal Identity Verification (PIV) cards.
> >
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > Smart Card Use Cases
> >
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > In all of the following use cases the user must be prompted for his PIN
> > prior to signing with the smart card. Also, the system must display to
> the
> > user the data that is being signed, so that he knows what he is signing.
> >
> [...Uses cases snipped for brevity...]
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thank you for sending the use cases.  Here is a proposal of a signData
> function that should support all of your use cases (digitally signing
> web transactions).
>
> Please comment on the following issues:
> - Is the use of CA names sufficient to identity the right smart card?
> - Is supporting just the text/plain media type in the beginning acceptable?

Wan-Teh

Some feedback:

   - Signing operations may or may not involve a certificate - it may
   simply be a public/private key pair. Should the API thus take a keyID
   instead?
   - If using certificates to back the signing operation, and the user has
   multiple certificates that meet the criteria, how is the correct
   certificate/key disambiguated? Is the web application responsible for
   prompting the user, or is the user meant to select the appropriate key/cert?
   - Similarly, if the user may have multiple keys used for equivalent
   purposes (eg: an RSA key and an ECDSA key, both usable for
   signature/non-repudiation), how is that discovered by the application, if
   at all? Your description of the "signingAlgorithm" parameter suggest that
   the restrictions of the key are known a-priori to calling .signData().
   - What is the form of the CA name string? Is it an LDAP-style
   string-formatted distinguishedName (eg: "o=Some Org, cn=SomeUser", or it is
   a DER-encoded, ASN.1 representation of the actual name (eg: SSL/TLS style).
   - Why have a timeout function? What does an implementation determine as
   a suitable timeout value? Depending on the accessibility needs of the user,
   they may require more time. In particular, I'm thinking of the W3C's Web
   Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Guideline 2.2 "Provide users enough
   time to read and use content" [1]. One way to avoid any ambiguity is to
   simply remove the notion of a timeout - It's not clear to me why this is
   necessary.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#time-limits