Re: ACTION-38: pre-shared keys

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I had an action to propose text on pre-shared keys for the FPWD. This might be appropriate as a non-normative introduction to the Key interface, Section 10.
>
> "This specification provides a uniform interface for many different kinds of keying material managed by the user agent. This may include keys that have been generated by the user agent, derived from other keys by the user agent, imported to the user agent through user actions or using this API, pre-provisioned within software or hardware to which the user agent has access or made available to the user agent in other ways. The term key refers broadly to any secret keying material including actual keys for cryptographic operations and secret values obtained within key derivation or exchange operations.

Since we also use the Key interface to represent a public key, I
suggest that we remove "secret" from "The term key refers broadly to
any secret keying material".

> Also,
> - I think we should clarify the definition of the Key.id attribute as to the scope of the uniqueness of the identifier. i.e. that it has local scope

I suggest this definition:

id

The origin-specific identifier for this key. The identifier is unique
among all the keys the user agent has for the origin. The identifier
is at most 64 octet long.

Wan-Teh