Re: Web Identity Working Group

From: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:10:54 -0400
To: "Garriss Jr., James P." <jgarriss@mitre.org>
CC: "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <public-webcrypto@w3.org>
On 04/13/2012 02:19 PM, Garriss Jr., James P. wrote:
> Can someone please clarify the relationship between the Web Cryptography Working Group and the Web Identity Working Group?  Both are part of the W3C's Security Activity, and both appear to be developing a Cryptography API based initially upon DOMCrypt.

Only the Web Cryptography Working Group has been chartered.
http://www.w3.org/2011/11/webcryptography-charter.html

I assume the link you found reflects an earlier draft, before W3C
decided to split off crypto in the browser work to tackle first. We
anticipate that the webcrypto work will be useful to identity on the
Web, but don't have a WG chartered on that front.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wseltzer@w3.org +1.617.863.0613
http://wendy.seltzer.org/