Re: Protection of decrypted data from malicious servers?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:13 PM, James Marshall <james@jmarshall.com> wrote:
> I've been assuming someone could use a browser (i.e. the security program in
> this case) from a different source than the webmail provider.
For completeness, you can avoid the (un)trusted distribution channel
with side loading. Its a common case in enterprise, and does not rely
on fetching Javascript from any old server on the web.

> Also that key management is on the client side, and the
> webmail provider never sees the private keys.
I don't believe so. The US government broke similar with Hushmail with
a backdoor'ed Java applet. It pre-dates the Snowden stuff. See, for
example, Encrypted E-Mail Company Hushmail Spills to Feds,
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/11/encrypted-e-mai/.

How the US's reach extended into Canada is a different story altogether....

Jeff