Re: Protection of decrypted data from malicious servers?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM, James Marshall <james@jmarshall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:
>>> ... For example, I'd like
>>> to see a webmail site with full end-to-end encryption, without making us
>>> trust the server at all.  CSP helps, but is not a full solution.
>>
>> No. This is impossible. This is not a valid threat, and not something in
>> scope for this WG.
>
> Well, fair enough if it's not in scope, but I think it leaves a significant
> problem unaddressed.  Is secure webmail impossible then?...
Yes. The problem is in the protocol, not in the implementations. You
can't fix the architectural defects without breaking the existing
protocol. You need a new protocol.

That's why folks like Silent Circle abandoned support for email. Its
literally impossible to secure.

Jeff