From: Anders Rundgren [mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com]
Sent: mardi 11 février 2014 16:06
To: GALINDO Virginie
Cc: public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
Subject: RE: Proposed API extension for Fido U2F devices

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2014Feb/0009.html

"The U2F use case is one specific use case which is bringing new features to the web crypto API. I do not see why the existence of the U2F would preclude the discussion related to the integration of hardware token (or any secure element) in the web crypto, for which we have imagined to have a workshop this year. Note that It is still on my side to propose a strawman proposal for the workshop"

Since SIM-cards are locked by operators there's little point with an SE interface to WebCrypto, it will most certainly go the same way the WAP/WSIM interface once did; in the toilet.
As Ryan mentioned in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2014Feb/0008.html ISO 7816 is probably not the right technical foundation either.

If the operators (=the actual customers) and Gemalto still believe this is interesting it seems more logical running a combined standardization/open source effort together with them.

Related: http://letstalkpayments.com/google-says-goodbye-carrier-based-nfc-systems

Anders

Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus