RE: Proposed API extension for Fido U2F devices

Anders & Co.  SIM cards are not the only secure element solution or form
factor. There are microSD, USB,  Bluetooth interface form factors that are
not locked by carriers and they are device agnostic. In fact some of them
can be used across multiple devices. And Smart cards that run Java card OS
can be used to load virtually any security applet.

There seems to be some preconceived notions of what smart cards are. I
would request all of you to have an open mind based on the fact that smart
card silicon is the one of the only, if not the only, globally standard
hardware that exists today that is certified by ISO, Global Platform and
Common Compliance standards.

Let me reiterate - the proposal is not smart cards instead of other
hardware. But rather the proposal is smart card be supported in this
community if hardware is in scope.

Irrespective of W3C community support or not smart card interface to
Webcrypto API will happen. There is a community of companies that will
build it. We already are, based on work that was done with Firefox. It is
really up to all of you to decide if W3C will take the dogmatic position of
not supporting smart cards, which seems to be the prevailing position.

Silva