Re: comments on web crypto API: Side effects of a low-level API [1/6]

On 2013-05-23 14:11, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> A solution to that approach would be to offer high level API to
>> handle
>> the common of the expected use cases of the low level API, and that
>> high
>> level API will use standardized protocols, implemented in the
>> browser.
>> For example:
>> * An API to upload an encrypted and authenticated file
>>   -> the browser uses the standardized procedure and the user is
>> notified by the browser that his file will be encrypted prior to
>> uploading
> What you are indirectly saying is that there are cryptographic
> methods
> that can guide an average "neticen".  Although I can't speak for the
> WG (since I'm not a member), I don't think this is the general
> feeling.
> You essentially have to trust a web-site for "Doing the right
> thing(tm)".
> The specific use-case suffers from the fact that a user cannot know
> how the encrypted document is dealt with _after_ it has been
> received.

I don't quite agree. I don't trust any website to implement its own
secure communications protocol. For that I use TLS. I trust the site I
visit for a specific purpose (e.g. to sell books), not for designing
secure protocols. The current API cannot be used as is by an average web
designer since it requires him to become a secure protocol designer and
handle low level cryptographic aspects (which even cryptographers may
get wrong). I'd really suggest the WG to think about the target-audience
of this framework and offer an appropriate toolbox to them.

regards,
Nikos