Re: Follow-up. Re: Use case: Authenticate using eID

On 2013-05-13 19:32, Arun Ranganathan wrote:

> On May 13, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>
>> That question has already been answered.
>

> The issue of cross-origin use of cryptographic interfaces is discussed here:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto/2013May/0036.html

eIDs are currently not provisioned through Web Crypto and it is unlikely
that they will be that in the future for a number of reasons like that
such eIDs would be unusable by "apps" and that Web Crypto doesn't support
secure messaging which is a prerequisite for secure provisioning.

I don't see any major difference wrt to privacy, UI etc. between data
provisioned through "web methods"/SOP and data that has been provisioned
through other means but tagged with an origin (=legitimate owner).

eID is just a fancy name for private keys and certificates of the kind that
most platforms (UAs) already support since ages back.

There are *huge* advantages linking these two disparate worlds together!

Anders