Certificates. Re: WebCrypto API Developers Feedback

On 2013-03-14 22:08, Aymeric Vitte wrote:

> Le 14/03/2013 20:48, Jeffrey Walton a écrit :
>> Be careful here. We know PKI with Internet profiles (PKIX) has
>> problems in practice.
>>
>> In the big picture, a certificate or public key (with its
>> corresponding private key) is how we identify folks. Making
>> certificate and public key management a secondary goal may have the
>> unintended effect of leaving gaps in authentication.
>
> Le 14/03/2013 20:48, Jeffrey Walton a écrit :
>> (courtesy of PKIX and Public CAs) coupled with lack of client
>> capabilities.
> Le 14/03/2013 20:48, Jeffrey Walton a écrit :
>> Since you can't fix PKI, you have to improve client capabilities.
>
> Maybe I am missing the point but what do you mean exactly for the three
> points above?

Aymeric et al,

The WG has operated for over a year without getting a single bit closer to defining what they envision in terms of certificate support.  Some people still believe there is a pot of gold called second phase deliverables.

Based on the existing certificate support in the platforms that will run the Web Crypto API, I would be surprised if that actually happens, since the abysmal foundations would still shine through.

My guess is that the market-leader (probably Google) will define a working credential platform that W3C, years later, will formalize as a standard in a "rubber-stamping" process like ISO did with MS-Office XML.

If you look into the Netflix use-case, it IMO doesn't have a place in the Web Crypto standard since it builds on using specifically "prepared" devices. In fact, a minor patch in the key-discovery part of a Web Crypto implementation would work right out-of-the-box without any additions.

By keeping Web Crypto tight and neat, Ryan & Co has a very good chance succeeding.

Anders