Re: ECC Curves

From: Wan-Teh Chang <wtc@google.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:29:50 -0800
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Cc: Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com>, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>, Björn Kinscher <bjoern.kinscher@googlemail.com>, public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> Just to clarify, if Germany or another nation wants a non-standard ECC
> curvie, then it makes sense for them to write it down, mature it, ideally
> produce code-patches for the Web browsers, and register it whatever registry
> we end up using (IANA has come up) that will live past the lifetime of the
> spec. There will be some extensibility mechanism for new crypto built into
> the spec.

The IANA registry at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/tls-parameters.xml#tls-parameters-8
is intended for TLS. I guess other protocols could adopt that if the
format  (a 16-bit unsigned integer) is suitable for them.

For reasons I don't understand, the canonical name of a named curve is
an ASN.1 object identifier (OID). If an organization has an "arc" in
the OID namespace, it can create named curve OIDs under its arc.

Wan-Teh