Re: Use case: Authenticate using eID

On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Samuel Erdtman <samuel@erdtman.se> wrote:

> In addition to the privacy issue of the eID being a super cookie, in
> Sweden the eID certificate contains pii that must not be accessible to
> arbitrary sites. Are we going to ask the user to approve eID keys and
> certificates to be accessed by different origins, should this
> possibility be available for all certificate and keys or is it limited
> to eID keys if yes how are they going to be identified as eID key.
> This is getting closer to my suggestion that we could have a
> certificate attribute for the origins that a key should be available
> to.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

The above is a good summary of why non-domain-created keys aren't in scope for the current API.  There are too many open questions.

Managing access to things like eID keys sounds like a good area for some experimentation to happen.  There might be some prior art to draw on from how TLS client certs are managed nowadays, but I'm not sure that will address everything.

This is something the PolyCrypt team is hoping to start playing with in the next couple of months…

--Richard