Re: The Certificate Agenda Point

On 2013-04-24 07:41, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Anders Rundgren
> <anders.rundgren@telia.com> wrote:
>> The problem in a nutshell is that the use-case for consumer-PKI only exists outside of the US while the platforms essentially are all of US origin.
>>
> What is consumer-PKI? A PKI that relies on a commercial CA? Or the
> browser's use of commercial CAs and subordinates? Or perhaps a
> application by a commercial company whose PKI uses its own private CA?

Jeff,
Your questions reveal that you are from the US :-)

Consumer-PKI is essentially about replacing passwords with client certificates
where the private key is often stored in hardware.

A PKI can be as local as our 30-person company's or cover an entire nation.

As an invited expert of TrustedComputingGroup I think I can say (without breaking
the NDA...) that the two most well-known vendors in the PC-business, Microsoft
and Intel have repeatedly rejected the idea that their new baby, the TPM 2.0
would support consumer-PKIs.  They succeeded!

Android?

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-security-discuss/6YrgoV_IuhA/j1ov3XBNI4gJ

Can you possibly do worse?

Anders