Re: PKCS#1v1.5

Right, I can see how that could get out of hand rather quickly.  The difference I see between those cases though is that counter mode and CBC each have advantages/disadvantages (i.e. counter mode allows for random access to encrypted data) that warrant using one over the other depending on the scenario.  Hopefully developers will investigate the different modes before they pick the one that most suits their situation.  PKCS#1 and OAEP on the other hand are functionally equivalent, but one has potential security holes and the other does not.