Re: W3C takes on Web+SecurityElements

On 2012-10-08 20:41, GALINDO Virginie wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Ryan made the right point. The objective of this API is to establish a communication layer with the secure element. The proposed API in the SysApp charter is mapping with the API which has been defined by the SIMAlliance (the sim card industry group) and it has been shared as an example with SysApp potential participants to show the way it could be implemented.
> The targeted functionalities are really : auditing the available readers able to host a secure element, opening a communication with a reader, sending the actual command (APDU). As you can see we are far from the services aimed in the Web Crypto WG such as retrieve a key identifier, or perform a ciphering operation.
Indeed.  The question is then what end-user services you actually aim for?  The Charter doesn't give any clues to that.

To me it looks more like a business plan for an industry sector struggling for market relevance in a very changed IT-landscape:

     http://www.simalliance.org/en/resources/specifications

Note: Member access only.

Since I'm working with a similar project, I'm obviously biased :-)
However, this effort directly targets Web Crypto albeit using methods which so far haven't been discussed:

    http://webpki.org/papers/PKI/pki-webcrypto.pdf

Anders