RE: RSA blind signatures

I don't believe it's outside the current charter at all, please point to where you think this violates the current charter, I also don't believe the sole purpose of this group is to avoid polyfilling

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:17 AM
To: Anthony Nadalin
Cc: Acar, Tolga; Mike Jones; Stefan Xenon; public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: RSA blind signatures

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Anthony Nadalin <tonynad@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Just not sure I follow the logic from this thread, we are propose
> other function that is needed for various crypto functions, why not the bigint?

Because we're specifically not proposing something that low-level. The only reason you need bigint is to polyfill something. The whole point of this API is so that you don't have to polyfill something.

> When it comes to blind signatures there are several ways to do that,
> we have the requirement to be able to use blind signatures (not
> Chaum's RSA) within the browser, we also need bigint. So we are in favor of this proposal.

There has not been a proposal. This is a question about something outside of our charter. The question at hand is whether or not to recharter to embrace this feature.

I strongly oppose rechartering, since this is clearly an issue of the language, and not of user agents. If Javascript wishes to support arbitrary precision integers, as opposed to the current types today, then it should be done in TC39. Given that TC39 has discussed this in the past, I see no value in us taking up that mantle.

This is especially true because, within this group, the only reason to talk bigints is to talk about polyfilling (whether ZRTP, arbitrary KDFs from DH shared secrets, blind signatures, or vanity crypto), and I would argue that the entire purpose of this group is to avoid the need for polyfilling (which you can already do today - see, for example, SJCL)