Re: Bank Applications - PIN Support Requirements

On 2012-08-09 19:35, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Anders Rundgren
> <anders.rundgren@telia.com> wrote:
>> That is, you must be able to specify PINs including error-count for created keys in order to address banking.
>> PINs may also be use-set but matching a bank--defined policy.
>>
>> Anders
>>

> Hi Anders,
>
> As discussed previously, smart-card specific usages, such as pin
> specification, are out of scope. This also fits into the smart card
> provisioning scenario, which is also out of scope for the current
> efforts. However, thank you for your input into the general problems
> that would be faced if they were in scope.
>
> Please note that we're not necessarily trying to map an existing
> application 1:1 onto this API, but moreso to enable a class of
> applications. As such, while I realize that some applications may
> desire pin specific features, not all applications, including banking
> applications, fundamentally require them, thus they can still enable a
> rich experience even with 'only' the currently specced work.

Hi Ryan,

My 10Y+ experience of on-line banking for consumers is that PINs indeed
are used by most if not all applications regardless how keys are stored.

I understand that this requirement doesn't fit in the current specification,
there's not even platform support in Windows, which is a reason why banks write
their own client applications.  A slight problem for *anybody* trying to
create a standard with on-line banking in mind is that banks "by tradition"
do not participate in open standardization efforts.

Anyway, thank you for taking your time answering this request!

Regards,
Anders