Re: Support Web Commerce CG

> On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:56 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/17/2017 10:58 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> Given that this specific proposal is about HTTP-baesd payments, I
>> suggest instead that we enlarge the scope of the Web Payments CG for
>> several reasons:
>>
>> * There is a higher cost to creating a new CG an having everybody
>> join it than simply enlarging the scope of an existing CG.
>
> There is a non-trivial cost when changing the charter for the Web
> Payments CG. Per that CG's process, we'd have to propose a new charter
> expansion, debate it for at least two weeks, and then hold a vote (at
> least another week). So we're a month off from rechartering that group.

There is no particular urgency to this work. Given that it’s also holiday
season, I don’t see this delay as creating a significant issue.

> I should also note that not a single one of the specs that the Web
> Payment CG's incubated for multiple years were adopted by the Web
> Payments WG, so there is little (from a specification perspective) in
> common between the groups other than the name.

How would launching a new CG change that situation materially?

> Rather, I suggest we shut down the Web Payments CG and move the people
> that want to try again over to the Web Commerce CG.

How would that change anything materially, especially if the same people
get involved in the new group?

>> * Having the IG mirror the scope of the Web Payments WG (where this
>> migrated from) seems appropriate.
>
> I think you meant "CG" instead of "IG”.

Yes, sorry.

> If we do that, it doesn't address the long-term issue of where we put
> things that don't neatly fit into the Web Payments CG (Digital Offers,
> Invoices, Digital Receipts, etc.).

We have launched new CGs for that work.

> Since our scope has expanded to Web Commerce, and given that the IG
> can't work on specs, I suggest we do something that doesn't result in
> the proliferation of new spec-specific CGs as the years roll on.

> So, the concrete set of suggestions are:
>
> 1. Launch the Web Commerce CG.
> 2. Shut down the Web Payments CG, instructing anyone that wants to move
>   over to Web Commerce CG to do so.
> 3. Shut down the Digital Offers CG, merging it into the Web Commerce CG.
> 4. Move the Web Payments HTTP API spec to the Web Commerce CG.
> 5. Incubate any further spec identified by the Web Commerce IG in the
>   Web Commerce CG unless there is a better home for it. This simplifies
>   the IPR process for WCIG members that don't want to do IPR for WCCG,
>   and simplifies everyone else's lift by not having to join multiple
>   new CGs as the Web Commerce IG identifies work items.

I like that proposal better than simply launching a new general purpose CG. One question: should
we just reuse the Web Incubator CG?

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>