proposed reply -- [2nd LC Review] Comments -- CSS

Hi WG --

Here is a proposed reply to his CSS comment -- the 2nd of his two
comments.  Feel free to recommend improvements.  We'll discuss and
approve/revise at Wednesday WG telecon.

-Lofton.

At 11:44 AM 6/20/2009 +0200, Innovimax SARL wrote:
>== interaction between WebCGM and CSS ==
>Is it possible to consider the role that could play CSS vis à vis WebCGM ?

===== start =====
Potential relationships between WebCGM and CSS were studied in some detail
[1] prior to the WebCGM 2.0 standardization.  This study [1] developed a
detailed model and showed the technical feasibility for a rich application
of CSS-like styling to WebCGM.

[1] http://www.cgmopen.org/technical/stylable_cgm_submitted_0324.pdf

Despite the technical feasibility, the WebCGM 2.0 authors and constituents
agreed that the the principal WebCGM use cases did not justify the cost and
implementation effort of such a full-featured normative CSS capability in
WebCGM.  Therefore normative CSS-like style sheets were not further pursued.

Nevertheless, whenever possible, applicable features and characteristics of
CSS were followed in the design of WebCGM 2.0, especially the new DOM-based
Style Properties feature.  For example the inheritance model of CSS was
adapted directly into the Style Properties inheritance model (section 5.4),
and there are a number of other examples of functionality borrowed
more-or-less directly from CSS.