re: CGZ files

From: Don L. <dlarson@cgmlarson.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:56:56 -0500
To: "Bezaire, Benoit" <bbezaire@ptc.com>, WebCGM WG <public-webcgm-wg@w3.org>

Benoit

>  Hi  All,
>
>  I find the draft  underspecified about compressed CGM files. More
>  specifically, we would like to  know what kind of CGM files may be
>  compressed?
>
>  Version1 to  4?
>  Can I compress a  WebCGM 1.0 CGM file for example?
>
>  Is this a WebCGM 2.1  conformance feature for viewer and authoring tools?
>  Or is this a new WebCGM  2.1 (and only 2.1) 'encoding scheme' ... for lack
>  of a better  word?

I think 'encoding scheme' is a better characterization. The text for this feature
in the webcgm 2.1 spec was extracted from the SVG spec.

My thinking is that this is a viewer conformance issue and a WebCGM 2.1
viewer should be able to open a file with a .cgz extension and know that it
needa to decode this file according to the gzip spec. with the assumption that
results will be a file that conforms to the WebCGM profile (any version e.g.
1.0 , 2.x).

Don.