From: public-webcgm-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-webcgm-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Lofton Henderson
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:23 PM
To: WebCGM WG
Subject: RE: More on getObjectExtent() -- Raster

Hi Benoit --

Thanks for the comments -- it's an implementor's perspective that I'm
missing.

Does it seem okay to break this thread into pieces?  First about raster
comments.

>From below: "You [LH] had to go back to CGM:1999 to find the answer."
Somehow I didn't see that as a problem.  I actually knew that Cell Array
was defined as a subdivision within a box, and thought the same was true
of Tile Array/Tile.  But before asserting that authoritatively, I wanted
to verify that it was accurate.  Which took me about 5 minutes -- it
seemed obvious once I looked it up.

[Reference:  from CGM:1999's TOC:   6.6.5, 7.2.16, 7.6.9, 7.6.28/29]

So I'm curious:  would you have to look at CGM:1999 to decide what to do
about other (than raster) Graphical Primitive elements, like Circular
Arc Center Close or Circular Arc 3 Point Close?  I'm unsure how far we
need to go here -- to me, CACC and CA3PC graphical primitives do not
seem any more or less obvious than Cell Array and Tile Array graphical
primitives.  (But then again ... I'm not implementing.)

That notwithstanding... Would you (or anyone) like to propose some words
about Cell Array and Tile Array for 5.7.6?

More later about the other specific questions (below).

But maybe a more global question:  ought we to put in a big table, or
maybe a new normative subsection, with a row about gOE calculation for
each of WebCGM's 20+ graphical primitives, as well as rows for controls
like clipping and suchlike?  Or will it suffice to just chunk in
selected additional paragraphs in the gOE section?

(How much more is implied by the "...etc..." at the end of the list?
I.e., what is the definitive list of things that need to be addressed in
WebCGM gOE() text?)

-Lofton.

At 10:58 AM 12/2/2008 -0500, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:

	[...]
	If company ABC were to hire a computer science new grad (or even
a senior software developer) to implement parts of WebCGM 2.1, he would
read the getObjectExtent wording and say 'what the'? He would read it
again and still say 'what the'? Then he walk to his manager's office and
ask:

	- what's the extent of a raster?
	- what's the extent of a bezier curve? (we've now clarified that
one)
	- what's the extent of left to right string of text?
	- what's the extent of top down string of text?
	- how does this work with clipping?
	- etc...

	Regarding rasters. My point was that 'raster', 'image', 'cell
array', 'tile array' is not to be found in the getObjectExtent()
wording. You had to go back to CGM:1999 to find the answer.

	Regarding text. What I think is meant is that the font family
ascent and descent define the 'length of the side in the text-up
direction'. Correct? Another question that comes to mind immediately
after reading the wording is how to get the extent for non Restricted
Text box.
	Another puzzling thing for me is that we say
'bottomline-to-topline distance of the font', we don't say anything
about the used glyphs.

	So say the following three strings have the same text
attributes:
	- "abc" (goes above x-height)
	- "wagon" (goes below baseline)
	- "were once common" (uses only x-height, no descent, nothing
above x-height or cap height)

	According to the wording, they would all have the same 'height'.
If those strings were treated as path, they would yield different
heights.

	Benoit.