Re: attention -- WG approval of 1.0 strategy

One comment about Ian's reply to Thierry (with whose assessment I agree)...

At 02:30 PM 9/19/2007 +0000, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:21 +0200, Thierry Michel wrote:
> > Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

> is to get
> document, but
> Third Release

> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/WebCGM/WG/Minutes/2007/08/30-webcgm-minutes.html
> not being used. i have copied Ian Jacobs for an authoritative statement
> on whether that can still be used or not.

> > > The option still exists; we have not yet modified the Process Document.
> > > We plan to propose to the AC to remove that option (as it has not been
> > > used).
> >
> > So how should we process here ?
> >
> > We have currently a draft errata page approved by the WebCGM WG.
> >
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/WebCGM/WG/2007/errata-10/WebCGM10-errata-20070621
> >
> > We should have a 4-week W3C/public review ?
> > How is such reviewed organized, What is the prcess ? (I have never done
> > this for SMIL). To which Mailing list this review request should be sent ?
>
>We have not done this before, so I would need to look into this.
>
> > Once it is reviewed we should publish it at its final destination
> > http://www.w3.org/2007/WebCGM10-errata.html
> >
> > Can we just skip the 4-week W3C/public review as most of the W3C Groups
> > seem to proceed and publish it at its final destination
> > http://www.w3.org/2007/WebCGM10-errata.html
>
>If you skip the review, then you're not using the process to make
>then normative.
>

> > > I see above "to skip the hassle of republishing an entire new WebCGM 1.0
> > > Third Release document" Please note that the process for approved
> > > corrections does require publication within 6 months. Can the group
> > > confirm here their intention to publish within 6 months after
> > > the end of the formal review period?
> >
> > The WebCGM WG does not plan to publish a third release of WebCGM 1.0.
>
>Then it is inappropriate to use the process that expects such a
>publication [1]:
>
>   "In order for the corrections to remain normative, the Working Group
>    MUST incorporate them into an edited Recommendation."

As I pointed out, a little earlier in the Process errata section the
rationales were given, and we believe that they do nor pertain.  So should
we spend the valuable resources anyway, to bring a very old document up to
current pubrules and republish?

Regards,
-Lofton.