RE: WG assignments -- WebCGM 1.0 Errata review

Dieter, All --

I'm a little shaky on the answer to Dieter's question, so I'd be happy to
have someone correct it or supplement it...

At 09:10 AM 9/11/2007 -0400, Weidenbrueck, Dieter wrote:
>[...]
>E02 and E03 look good to me.
>
>One question:
>
><OBJECT DATA="xxx.cgm" TYPE="image/cgm;Version=4;ProfileId=WebCGM"
>WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="100" >
>
>This is the correct way to specify an OBJECT. What happens in the case
>of a cascading profile?
>The ProfileID=WebCGM would be wrong for an ATA or S1000D profile.
>Do we actually need the profile ID here? This is probably confusing
>anyway, because the integrator has no clue as to which files he will
>display in the viewer at the time he has to write this.

Good question.  I'll try to answer from memory, without going to research
it too much.  Long story short, I think we made a mistake when we
registered the MIME type a dozen years ago.

The value of the <OBJECT> 'TYPE' attribute is supposed to correspond to the
registered MIME type.  From HTML 4.01:

[[[
This attribute specifies the content type for the data specified by data.
This attribute is optional but recommended when data is specified since it
allows the user agent to avoid loading information for unsupported content
types. If the value of this attribute differs from the HTTP Content-Type
returned by the server when the object is retrieved, the HTTP Content-Type
takes precedence.
]]]

When cgm was registered as a MIME type in 1995, Brian DiAntonio from
Carberry Technology was the person who (apparently) knew about that stuff
and drove the registration, participating in the ATA GWG.  Chris was
involved as well (I was fairly clueless about the topic at that time --
still am).

So here is the registration:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/cgm

Notice that the parameters are all "required", none of the parameters is
"optional".  Chris has commented subsequently that he thinks it could have
been done better, and I guess I agree.  It seems to me that "image/cgm" is
all that is really needed (the other info is inside the metafile anyway).

After all, this is about content-type for transfer, right?  The things like
Version and ProfileId are pretty irrelevant in that context, it seems to
me.  On the other hand, after transfer, viewers will find and handle
Version and ProfileId appropriately within the metafile, as they start to
process the metafile.  (Question.  Does the viewer ever even see this TYPE
attribute?)

So ... back to your question.  Yeah, technically speaking, a cascaded
S1000D profile probably wants to change the ProfileId there, and ATA similarly.

What confuses me is this:  what component of the whole Web-distributed
system -- servers/clients and HTML content/CGM content -- actually sees and
does anything useful with the ProfileId attribute within the
MIME-registered content-type?  My impression is that it doesn't actually
matter in a substantive way to *any* system component.

Thoughts?

-Lofton.