Re: AW: about scheduled Thursday telecon...

At 04:59 AM 4/26/2007 -0400, Weidenbrueck, Dieter wrote:
>[...]
>I agree that the ball is on the OASIS TC side, and it is difficult
>to make decisions here before we know the outcome of those discussions.

And unfortunately, as we are seeing, those discussions might lag a bit.  It
may be late summer before the TC has a f2f.  Typically, the TC can advance
work without a f2f, but initiating work and getting consensus on scope,
goals, requirements typically needs a f2f.

> > I see the following options for the WG future (please suggest
> > any others that you might think of):
> >
> >      a.) shut it down on or soon after 31st May;
> >      [a'.)  ...and set up new WG later if needed.]
>Last resort, it should be easier to keep it alive rather than
>having to start it all over again given the small number of
>interested members.

Right, but we need something to point to, as the reason that we don't want
to shut it down.  See more, below...

> >      b.) unofficial short extension to finish any loose ends
> > (e.g., 1.0 errata?);
>not a long term solution
>
> >      c.) ask for official extension for some period till
> > future work becomes clear;
> >      [c') ...and possibly re-charter later with new scope if
> > 2+ work starts]
>This seems to be the most attractive way right now for me.

Yes.  Chris said, "Thats easily possible, just say what needs to be
finished off and how long it will take."  The key is to be able to say what
we want to do and why we don't want to shut down on 5/31.  It would
probably not work to say, "...extension to wait 3-4 months and see if a
future 2+ version is started."

> >      d.) re-charter immediately (with ??? scope?)
>which scope? Unless we agree to do the actual work in the WG
>rather than the TC, this will be difficult.
>
> >      e.) other?
>
>One more comment:
>I see a challenge in the fact that the actual work is done in the TC.
>So even with some kind of extension there won't be any work or topics
>for dicussion for the WG until we will be far down the road with
>future work.

That is looking accurate now.  The original thinking was something like
this... if we were to agree in May for a fast 2.1 -- a small addition of
5-6 items that were too late to add to 2.0, but were arguably in 2.0's
scope -- then that could easily be almost to Last Call maturity in very few
months, and that is the stage at which the WG's role begins.

-Lofton.