W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webcgm-wg@w3.org > April 2007

about scheduled Thursday telecon...

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:12:32 -0600
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20070424083231.03b83090@rockynet.com>
To: WebCGM WG <public-webcgm-wg@w3.org>

Hi,

Your feedback is requested, especially about telecon options.  But also ... 
let's start to hear some opinions about the WG's future.

According to the teleconference calendar, Thursday 11am EDT is our 
day/time.  Because of a conflicting doctor appointment, I cannot make our 
normal 11am EDT slot.

Because of bad coincidence on timing of planned travel, I might only be 
able to make our Thursday slot next week by calling from a pay phone on the 
road, and Thursday 11am EDT the following two weeks will be problematic as 
well.

Telecon options:
     - try to get slot moved one hour earlier Thursday (10am EDT)
     - try to get Friday AM slot (11am EDT) instead
     - cancel / postpone (possibly till mid-late May)

Agenda items:  the WG has been totally quiescent lately.  Part of that is 
because we're in "wait mode", for the OASIS TC:  they are leading in the 
errata process, and they are the venue that is first looking at "futures" 
-- WebCGM 2+, etc. -- and determining if there is the will and resources to 
proceed.

Errata:
-----
The OASIS 15 day public review on the WebCGM 2.0 errata finished with zero 
comments.  On 9th May, the TC will have a final vote and will post the 
finished errata files in their final location.  At that point, we need to 
edit one file pointer in the W3C errata file.  (This doesn't need any 
telecon time.)

Future:
-----
The ball is in CGMO-OASIS WebCGM TC court still.  The TC will not likely 
meet until summer.  There is interest in further work, but requirements 
need to be firmed, scope decided, and technical work launched.

Long story short ... if the TC (where all of the funding resides and most 
of the initiative originated) decide NOT to proceed, then the WG likely 
won't have a future beyond finishing any errata work.  If the TC proceeds, 
then the WG might have a useful future, along the lines of the 2.0 
collaboration.

I see the following options for the WG future (please suggest any others 
that you might think of):

     a.) shut it down on or soon after 31st May;
     [a'.)  ...and set up new WG later if needed.]
     b.) unofficial short extension to finish any loose ends (e.g., 1.0 
errata?);
     c.) ask for official extension for some period till future work 
becomes clear;
     [c') ...and possibly re-charter later with new scope if 2+ work starts]
     d.) re-charter immediately (with ??? scope?)
     e.) other?

For your information, if the WG re-charters, all members must rejoin the 
re-chartered group.  Given that we have lost Chris and might have another 
loss due to corporate mergers, we might need some new energy/members to 
meet a reasonable threshold.

What do you think?  This is probably the only meaty topic for telecon 
discussion.  When and how should we discuss it?  (Email opinions are always 
welcome.)

Regards,
-Lofton. 
Received on Tuesday, 24 April 2007 15:12:41 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:19:10 GMT