Re: WebCGM 2.0 Last Call Review Schedule

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:26:02 -0600
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>,public-webcgm-wg@w3.org

Hi Bjoern,

The WebCGM WG discussed about what feedback would be most helpful to
us.  Included below, also, is a little more explanation and background
about the content of Last Call WebCGM 2.0.

WebCGM 2.0 has (more or less) two sets of APIs: one that resembles a
subset of DOM 2 Core; the other that resembles a subset of DOM 2

Why not use DOM 2 Core or DOM 3 Core? The main reason is that we
thought an XML DOM API would create a lot of confusion to CGM (binary
format) users. Also note that DOM 3 Core in its entirety is not needed
by CGM users. That being said, because of the wide use of DOM Core, we
tried to define a similar set of interfaces in an attempt to ease
script writers the burden of learning something completely different.
We also considered the fact that DOM Core has proven to be a reliable
set of APIs and thus, seemed like a good basis for WebCGM 2.0.

With regards to the Event APIs. Again, we defined our interface by
borrowing heavily from DOM Events. The entire DOM 2 or 3 Event
specification are simply too much for the WebCGM use cases. As you
will notice from reading the WebCGMEvent interface, we do have a very
small subset in mind.

Therefore, for these two sets of APIs... we are looking for feedback
such as: wrong parameter/return types; flaws in the wording with
respect to a particular node type; critical omissions; wording that you
believe is unclear to a script writer, etc...

Summary. Several preliminary implementations validate that these
interfaces are functional. We hope the Web API group can help us
identify defects or mistakes we could have missed.

Thanks, we look forward to the benefit of your expert appraisal.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapi/2006Jun/0014.html