Re[2]: what kind of feedback from Web API?

At 11:08 AM 6/13/2006 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>Tuesday, June 13, 2006, 10:22:50 AM, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
> >>   We do understand that some of the comments could suggest
> >>   substantial changes to the specification.
>
> > I don't know what this means. How would you intend the recipients to
> > interpret it?
>That we are opened to the idea of referencing a subset of DOM3Ev
>rather than re-inventing our own.
>
> > Clearly, we want to avoid massive substantive changes at this stage,
> > and Bjoern's comment (see [1]) acknowledges that would is
> > problematic at last call.
>Agreed, we want to avoid substantive changes.
>However, it is my opinion, that if we could reference a subset of
>DOM3Ev (i.e., the subset we duplicated), few changes are needed on
>implementations and test suite.

Aha, the light goes on:  substantial changes to the document, versus
substantive changes (that would required major rework of implementations,
test suites, etc.)  I have no problem with the former.  I have some
problems with the latter.  (Which I would expect also for vendors, users,
and Cascaders who await a standard.)

>Please see how the SVG Tiny 1.2 specification created a subset of
>DOM3Ev (member-only):
>http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/spec/mobile/1.2/1.2NG/publish/svgudom.html#events
>
>How much work would it be to do something equivalent?

Dunno'.  I'll go have a closer look.

> > I'd be inclined to summarize with something more like this, "In
> > summary, we hope that the experts of Web APIs can help us to improve
> > the alignment of WebCGM 2.0 with Web API technologies and
> > specifications, while avoiding major substantive changes, which as
> > noted are usually best avoided at Last Call."
>This to me, seems like you are not open to the idea of referencing a
>subset of DOM3Ev. Am I correct in assuming so?

No, not correct.  I think it would be great if we could -- without serious
impact on vendors, users, schedule, Cascaders -- align better with DOM3E,
point to it, subset it, etc.  (From my study of DOM3E on the weekend, I
*suspect* that we can, but I haven't looked carefully enough yet.)

So I guess I didn't express myself clearly.  When I said "major substantive
changes", I specifically meant anything that would have major negative
impact (on vendors, ... Cascaders).  If we can rewrite our events text to
express in terms of DOM3E, without such impact, I'm fine with it.  In fact,
I'd favor it.

>The group needs a position on this.

Yes.

I sense that you and I are actually pretty close on position, yes?

>Another thing to consider thought is that DOM3Ev is still in WD
>status. I'd like to reference DOM3Ev, but I don't want us to be stuck
>in CR because they are still in WD? However, we are likely to subset
>old DOM2Ev APIs, those are unlikely to change.

Yes, I have learned recently (and will elaborate for other WG members):

-- DOM3E was a WG Note, Nov. 2003.
-- went into hibernation till April 2006
-- when Web APIs revived it and published it as FPWD.
-- builds on DOM2E, which has been Rec for a long time.

-- I haven't had a chance to study "Changes" [1],
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-DOM-Level-3-Events-20060413/changes.html ,
but I suspect most of what we have in WebCGM events is actually in DOM2E.

Definitely we don't want to have a normative dependence and get stuck at CR
behind a DOM3E spec that is too far behind us.  There are ways to avoid
that, I think.

-Lofton