Re: proposed replies to i18n-core comments

On Wednesday, July 19, 2006, 10:49:56 AM, Thierry wrote:

TM> Lofton,

TM> If we agree to these comments during tomorrow's teleconf (I will
TM> attend), I will update the "WebCGM 2.0 Last Call Disposition of
TM> comments" document
TM> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/03/WebCGM2-LastCallResponses.html

I think its worth making them three separate comments, too, rather than one comment with three parts.

Lofton,are you going to be on this Fridays Hypertext CG call?it would be good to remind other groups of the last call and the deadline,and try to get them to respond (or to say they won't review,or have no comments).

>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-webcgm20-20060623/WebCGM20-Intro.html#norm-ref

>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-webcgm20-20060623/WebCGM20-Concepts.html#webcgm_2_4

>>> , (sec. 2.5.4), you describe isolatin1 as the default "character set".
>>> We would propose to describe UTF-8 as the default character encoding,
>>> and to use the term "character encoding" instead of "character set". See
>>> also http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C020 .
>>
>> PROPOSAL for Comment 3:
>> The basic reason is "legacy".  WebCGM 2.0 is an upgrade of WebCGM 1.0,
>> which is a profile of ISO CGM:1999.  In ISO CGM:1999 (and :1992, :1987
>> before it), the default is isolatin1.  Because the default is implicit
>> (nothing in the CGM file declares it), and because of the mechanism
>> which ISO CGM specifies for changing to a non-default character encoding
>> for a metafile instance, in fact it would be technically ill-specified
>> (i.e., unimplementable) for a profile such as WebCGM 2.0 to prescribe
>> that the implicit default is other than isolatin1.
>>
>> We agree that WebCGM 2.0 should use the proper terminology, "character
>> encoding", where ever possible.  In some places it is not possible, such
>> as the proper names of ISO CGM:1999 elements (e.g., "CHARACTER SET
>> LIST").  But we will make appropriate changes in the descriptive, prose
>> parts of the profile.
>>

>> -Lofton.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group