Re: Man-in-the-middle attack against WebAuthn by a powerful attacker

Token Binding is a mitigation if used.   It meets the requirements for
SP800-63-3 AAL3.

There is a spec for reverse proxies to pass on token binding info.  So
if properly set up a reverse proxy should be no problem.

It is true that Edge is currently the only browser supporting it.  That
may change.

So I will grant that the mitigation is not widely available currently.

The certificate thumbprint idea is used in Fido UAF as an option.

It is better than the origin alone.   It still has issues with forward
proxies.   The browser will  likely have the TLS certificate of the
proxy not the one for the Authentication server.

I don't think that it would meet the requirements of AAL3 because the
assertion is not cryptographicly bound to the TLS session as it is in
token binding.

The thumbprint would need to be added both to CTAP2 and WebAuthn.  It
could be an extension but is a significant change that browsers would
need to support.

John B.