From: John Bradley [mailto:jbradley@yubico.com]
Sent: Friday, 22 September, 2017 19:09
To: Jakob Ehrensvard <jakob@yubico.com>
Cc: Johan Verrept via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>; W3C WebAuthn WG <public-webauthn@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [webauthn] Plumb User ID through

I think that is the correct thing to do.

I think the concern is that other devices may try and scope the credential id to the user_id or the token during make credential.

If they produce credential id that are from 1 to x then anyone who tries to create a global index for credential id is going to be stuffed.

It seems to me that any authenticator that is not attempting to create a globally unique credential id should be considered broken.

If we are having RP reject duplicate credential_id then we should be sure that a new credential_id/key is generated for each new make credential.   Otherwise the user will be stuck in the unlikely event of a collision.

John B.