Re: [webauthn] Why was PR #409 (UV bit) merged?

Not saying it has to be the way it's proposed, but let me give some
background how this has been discussed before we put it in print:

Just like with TUP (or UP) - this checking may actually be optional so
the RP cannot make implicit assumptions if in fact UV has been
verified by the authenticator. If the platform can control if UV shall
be verified by the authenticator, the actual verification status needs
to be within the signed envelope.

The initial approach was to use the UVM extension for this purpose,
but as the general consensus around extensions and how the platforms
would handle them faded away, we felt that this should probably be a
part of the core response.

Burning one single bit here should not be that bad as it becomes a
'catch all' for any means of UV verification by the authenticator. We
briefly considered adding more bits, potentially revealing what kind
of UV was performed, but this quickly spins out of control. I believe
that part can be statically resolved based on the AAGUID.

Jakob Ehrensvard
CTO
Skype: jehrensvard
US mobile: +1 650-283-1537