zen of web design

From: bob5000 <bob5000_at_gawab.com@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 03:29:05 -0800
To: public-webarch-comments_at_w3.org
I've been both a client for and a creator of marketing materials:
print, trade show, radio, Web, direct mail.  I've been responsible for
giving advertising and PR firms direction on the message and the form of
what I want created.  I've also been responsible for creating such
materials.

There may be a Zen (properly capitalized, although, I understand a
Martian whose name is all lower-case may have a bias against
capitalization) quality at work, but I think that is something that may
arise only dependent upon the individuals involved.  Indeed, I have
worked with totally clueless and Zen-less ad and PR firms.  Gestalt was
not in their vocabulary. And some of them actually did really nice work.

That said, the burden is on both.  Somehow the client must express his
concept and desires regarding both form and content in a cogent way.
Likewise, the provider must be able to articulate what they believe is
pertinent and "best practice" given the industry, medium and message.

Other than that it's pretty much a total cluster-f**k of a process where
I say:

1.  Do A
2.  Communicate B
3.  Make it look like C

And the vendor comes with:

1.  We thought A was short for Asinine which we think your idea was
2.  "B?  We don't like saying "B" so we didn't say that at all"
3.  "Our design approach (even though it looks nothing at all like the
other half-million dollars of media your business uses) isn't "C."  We
much prefer a Beta-Phi approach to capturing the zeitgeist of our
current dynamic marketplace and ..."

Which is when I say:

"What part of 'I'm paying you to do what I want' do you not understand?"

Now, I'm not talking about mechanics here.  Not what DOCTYPE to use, nor
what kind of printing press, nor what microphone to use for recording
the radio ad.  I'm talking about the final product, not how they get
there.  I want their input and creative expertise.  But if I'm ordering
a 10 x 10 trade show booth design I don't want them coming back with an
8,000 square-foot two-story architectural drawing.

http://www.phone-sex-psychologist.com
http://www.phone-sex-hypnosis.com
http://www.phonesexhandjobs.org
http://www.smartphonesex.org