  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:45:15 -0700
  • Subject: Review of webarch-20040816
  • To: www-tag@w3.org, "w3. org" <www-tag@w3.org>
***** First, issues that I think are really material, i.e. that I would
be inclined to raise a formal issue against webarch if they are not
addressed.

**2.2

The sentence beginning "While other communications may suggest..."
baffles me.  What other communications?  This needs an example, I have
no idea what we're talking about.

**2.3.1

1st Good practice.

Is this good practice really limited to "URI owners?"  Other plausible
targets would be "Creators of URIs" or "resource owners".

**3.1

It should be stated somewhere in here that "There is no way to tell
whether any given URI identifies an information resource without
attempting to dereference it."

**3.2.1

1st para.  s/are involved/govern the process/.  This this the same
issue I keep raising on successive drafts; webarch must not leave room
for pedants to claim that governing specifications are involved at
run-time.

last para: This paragraph is totally indecipherable to me.  The first
sentence is true, I guess, although I don't see what it adds to
webarch.  The sentence about natural language, I don't get it, why is
it in the same paragraph?  What's its goal? Maybe it should be in a
different section, maybe it needs an example.  Maybe it's making some
point with architectural import that I'm just not getting.  In need of
major surgery, I'm not suggesting changes because I just don't get it.

**3.3.1

#2 in list: It's not just POST right, it's PUT & DELETE & anything but
GET?  Hmm, don't have 2616 handy.  In any case, please be clear &
complete as to which verbs apply.

**3.6

para beginning "A corollary to..."

No.  This isn't a corollary at all.  I'd suggest a rewrite of this
little sequence:

------
Just because a representations are available does not mean that it's
always desirable to retrieve them.  In fact, in some cases the opposite
is true.  Dereferencing a URI has a (potentially significant) cost in
computing and bandwidth resources, may have security implications, and
may impose significant latency on the dereferencing application.
Dereferencing URIs should be avoided except when necessary.

  Principle: Reference does not imply dereference

  An application developer or specification author SHOULD NOT
  require networked retrieval of representations as a consequence
  of recognizing or processing a URI.
------------------------------------

**3.6.2

The first paragraph here is weaker than in previous drafts, why?  The
sentence about "In exceptional circumstances..." is BS, once a URI is
out in the wild it's always OK to pass it along.  I think we have to
recognize that the action of *publishing* a URI is actually crucial
here, once published it's always OK to republish.  But if I email you a
pointer to an unpublished page, that's not the same as publishing it.

**4.4

1st good practice:
s/portions of representation data/secondary resources/

**4.4.1

Sigh, has this section been punctured below the waterline by late revs
to 2396bis?

**4.5.3

1st para.  Last sentence is wrong.  The URI isn't the prefix.  I tried
a couple of rewrites but couldn't come up with anything good... suggest
losing it.

para beginning "s/of any type/of many types/"... it's not a condition
of being a global attribute that it necessarily apply to *all*
elements; I'm sure counter-examples could be dug up.

**4.5.4

2nd-last para.  As long as drafts keep claiming that [XMLSchema] is an
appropriate namespace document, I will keep objecting.  I think it is
BAD PRACTICE to provide a syntactic schema (any kind, DTDs or RNG too)
as a namespace document... a schema generally provides neither
human-readable documentation nor does it enable software to do much of
any usefulness, thus failing both the criteria defined in this section.

**4.6

1st sentence.  Earth to webarch... Huh?  Data formats enable new
classes of applications, and the claim that this is necessarily related
to #fragid semantics is ridiculous.  In fact, the most common reason
for defining a new data format is to enable new application classes.
Examples of data formats that imply new application classes: HTML, SVG,
RSS, etc etc etc.